In 1902, Harry Ryan, a young, passionate cricketer, stood on Kingsland Road and looked out over a rough paddock.
It was strewn with stones, rocky outcrops and cowpats with a low-lying swamp at the bottom. He saw a cricket ground. This was to become Eden Park. Ryan and friends initially leased the land and the Eden Cricket Club was formed.
In 1910 the Park became the home of Auckland Cricket and then Auckland Rugby Union leased the Park in 1914, officially making Eden Park its home in 1925.
A Trust was set up in 1926 providing a group of Trustees to manage Eden Park primarily for the benefit of Auckland Cricket and Auckland Rugby. Eden Park Trust manages the Park today.
The vision of the founders of Eden Park and the unflinching dedication, sacrifice and personal commitment of those who have followed in their footsteps has resulted in a state-of-the-art international stadium of which Auckland and all New Zealand can be proud.
In the successful bid for the 2011 Rugby World Cup, Eden Park, received its first public funding grant to redevelop the Southern and Eastern Stands.
Read more about the development milestones in Eden Park’s celebrated 100 year history in Eden Park’s Centenary Brochure or watch the timelapse video of the redevelopment of Eden Park 2008 - 2010 compliments of Flectcher Building.